The Buyer position will support auxiliary component, fabricated materials, and maintenance, repair, operations (MRO) purchases for the Systems Division by providing the required services of purchase order management, supplier management, quotation, and savings. Manages office supplies inventory and order placement for the Corporate office. The position is a junior buyer position to properly support customer and production requirements. Vision, creative problem-solving, leveraging technology, ambition, and drive are strongly encouraged in this role and throughout the Company.
Reports to: Director of Supply Chain (Systems and Engineering) with an operational reporting relationship to the Vice President of Systems and Engineering.
Direct Reports: N/A
Key Interfaces: The Technical Services and Operations/Project Management Teams within the Systems Division, QHSE, Legal and Trade Compliance Team, Commercial Bid Team, Finance and Accounting, and Third-Party Vendors.
Specific Functional Responsibilities:
- Issue Requests for Quotation (RFQs) to suppliers for production builds.
- Evaluate bids and place orders from Oracle requisitions for electronic components, fabricated materials, maintenance, repair, operations (MRO) consumables such as plant upkeep supplies and office supplies
- Procure quality product to meet dynamic production schedules, inventory management and cost reduction objectives.
- Review opportunities for cost savings and quality enhancements for supply and material purchases; work with Director to provide recommendations for process improvements.
- Resolve conflicts concerning materials or services at the supplier level.
- Work closely with Engineering group to communicate extending lead times and obsolescence of components when applicable.
- Expedite material deliveries as necessary to maximize customer satisfaction and on-time delivery.
- Manage supplier base; evaluate performance of suppliers on various key performance metrics.
- Ensure proper coding of purchase orders and service agreements.
- Issue and maintain blanket agreements for inventory items.
- Review and modify safety stock requirements as needed.
- Review final invoices for payment approval and address invoice discrepancies with Suppliers; investigate and respond to Accounting’s invoice questions.
- Support other supply chain functions as needed.
Attributes Required (Behavioral-based Requirements):
- Consistently demonstrates the Company’s Core Values (Integrity, Safety, Quality, Technology, Teamwork, Financial Discipline, Process, Continuous Improvement, and Customer Focus) in all internal and external interactions.
- Functions as a business partner and team player with all key stakeholders and actively supports and participates in a cohesive, collaborative, and positive work environment. Leverages existing skills, but also remains receptive to mentoring from others.
- Maintains positive relationships with customers and vendors.
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively manage projects from start to finish and understands financial implications when analyzing and interpreting operational solutions before making recommendations to management.
- Troubleshoots and solves operational issues as they arise, keeping the Director and Systems’ team informed as needed.
- Identifies and articulates problems both verbal and written, propose alternative solutions, have factual backup for decisions and question prior decisions if the results do not materialize as previously projected.
- Demonstrates a continuous improvement mentality, with a capacity and energy to challenge the status quo and drive change throughout the organization.
- Willingness to “roll up one’s sleeves and dig into the details”. Ability to deal with complexity while meeting tight deadlines and giving highest attention to detail.
- Should be able to work somewhat autonomously and meet required deadlines.
General Qualifications (Professional Degree(s), Yrs of Specific Experience, Certification(s)), Job Knowledge, and Skills:
- Bachelor's Degree in Supply Chain, Business Administration or relevant field.
- Minimum 5 years of progressive supply chain experience in a manufacturing environment with evidence of continuing education in supply chain management.
- General understanding of basic accounting practices.
- Must demonstrate a working knowledge in best practice Procurement processes, negotiating purchase order terms, conditions, and pricing, cost reductions, supplier qualification processes, vendor selection and account development, logistics, and sourcing.
- Proven history of year-over-year (YOY) cost reductions.
- Understanding of export trade compliance is a plus.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with suppliers and customers.
- Experience with supplier audits and key performance indicator (KPI) reporting.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Strong MS Office skills required. Working knowledge of ERP systems also required, with Oracle experience desired.
- US Citizen or Green Card holder with the ability to work in the US without sponsorship.
FairfieldNodal is an equal opportunity employer.