Manage and report daily activities related to the positioning of seismic equipment. Provide oversight and actively QC positioning data to ensure project specifications are met.
Reports to: Operationally - Party Manager and Project Manager; Technically – Navigation Supervisor, Field Service
Direct Reports: Vessel Navigation Staff
Key Interfaces: Fellow crewmembers (employees and contractors), corporate management and operations staff in Data Acquisition, Data Processors, QHSE staff, vendors, and customers.
Specific Functional Responsibilities:
- Manage a 24-hour rotating shift of Navigation crewmembers/Contractors as well as the navigation system and sub systems.
- Liaise with other departments and clients for both daily activities and future planning.
- Manage the maintenance program and inventory control.
- Proactively participate and comply with the company QHSE policies and the requirements set in the QHSE program.
- The development and training of navigation personnel within the technical bounds of navigation system and peripheral equipment.
- Evaluate the mentoring program and coaching of employees in the department.
- Responsible for the development of the schedule and monitor daily activity.
- Manage equipment inventory and installation.
- Provide expertise on navigation techniques and theories.
- Verify that navigation data is delivered per specifications.
- Report any deficiencies in quality of the data through the proper channels.
- Participate in special projects as assigned.
- Perform related duties as required.
Attributes Required (Behavioral-based Requirements):
- Consistently demonstrates the Company’s Core Values (Integrity, Safety, Quality, Technology, Teamwork, Financial Discipline, Process, Continuous Improvement, and Customer Focus) in all internal and external interactions.
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships with crewmembers, corporate staff, customers and vendors.
- Communicates clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Provides strong leadership by actively leading and challenging the Navigation staff, seeking their input in decision making, and providing fair and timely performance feedback.
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively manage tasks and projects from start to finish.
- Troubleshoots and solves operational issues as they arise, keeping both the Company and customer’s management team informed as needed.
- Demonstrates a continuous improvement mentality, with a capacity and energy to challenge the status quo.
- Willingness to “roll up one’s sleeves and dig into the details”. Ability to deal with complexity while meeting tight deadlines and giving highest attention to detail.
- Should be able to work autonomously and meet required deadlines.
General Qualifications (Professional Degree(s), Yrs of Specific Experience, Certification(s)), Job Knowledge, and Skills:
- At least 3 years of Navigation Chief experience.
- Bachelors level degree or equivalent preferred.
- Network connectivity, protocols and network types.
- Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications: Microsoft Office, Linux, Gator – Gator 2 – Orca, Fugro, Veripos, CNav DGNSS, Sonardyne, iXBlue USBL system, Seamap RGNSS, GlobalMapper, FPGS software processing tools, and Reflex binning system.
Certificates, Licenses or Registrations:
- Valid driver's license
- Current US Passport
- Current TWIC card
- BOSIET certification
- OGUK certification
- SafeGulf/Rig Pass (for Gulf of Mexico projects)
- Must pass Physical, Drug Screen and Background Check.
- Must be able to work seven days a week, including holidays. Must be able to work various shifts up to 12+ hours per day.
- US Citizen or Green Card holder with ability to work in the US without sponsorship.
FairfieldNodal is an equal opportunity employer.