Responsible for the marine assurance and regulatory compliance aspects related to the operation subcontracted marine assets engaged in company managed geophysical surveys.
Reports to: Director Data Acquisition QHSE & Marine Assurance
Direct Reports: One direct report
Key Interfaces: All QHSE staff, crewmembers (employees and contractors), corporate management and operations staff in Data Acquisition, vendors, customers and customer Marine Assurance staff, industry associations, state/federal/international regulatory agencies.
Specific Functional Responsibilities:
- Assists Fairfield Seismic Technologies in the development of vessel selection criteria and operational guidelines related to vessel operations.
- Conducts subcontractor Safety Management System (SMS) assessments of vessel suppliers and other contractors providing services to the Fairfield Seismic Technologies division to determine their suitability and capability to support their offshore activities.
- Performs onboard assessments of potential hire vessels proposed/identified for anticipated seismic surveys to determine if they are fit for purpose, effectively managed and properly crewed.
- Generates audit/assessment summaries to provide Fairfield Seismic Technologies with guidance to be utilized in the contractor/vessel selection process.
- Develops a SMS Gap Analysis of potential contractors to enable the QHSE team to develop Bridging (Interfacing) documents for the effective integration of the contractor into subsequent survey projects.
- Reviews marine crew CVs, licenses, training certification and associated documentation to ensure regulatory compliance and appropriate experience.
- Monitors documentation of chartered vessels to ensure compliance with Class, Flag State and other mandatory or prescribed requirements throughout the duration of survey so as not to impact survey operations.
- Interacts with client marine assurance to facilitate vessel acceptance by client.
- Generates letters of sea service and other support documents related to Merchant Mariner Credentials for previous and current employees.
- Assists the HSE team with the investigation of incidents involving marine equipment or personnel and the development of a Root Cause Analysis.
- Acts as an internal review and evaluation body to ensure that compliance issues/concerns within the organization are being appropriately evaluated, investigated, and resolved.
- Supports the Commercial Team in the compilation and submission of vessel data for client tenders and RFI’s.
- Monitors the safety, pollution, environmental and regulatory aspects of vessel operations to ensure full compliance with Safety Management System and regulatory requirements.
- Coordinates marine assurance activities with QHSE department to ensure continuity and integrity of operations.
- Participates in special projects as assigned.
- Performs related duties as required.
Attributes Required (Behavioral-based Requirements):
- Consistently demonstrates the Company’s Core Values (Integrity, Safety, Quality, Technology, Teamwork, Financial Discipline, Process, Continuous Improvement, and Customer Focus) in all internal and external interactions.
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships with crewmembers, corporate staff, customers, and vendors.
- Communicates clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Provides accurate and timely counsel to QHSE and Data Acquisition on all Marine Assurance matters.
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively manage tasks and projects from start to finish.
- Troubleshoots and solves operational issues as they arise, keeping both the Company and customer’s management team informed as needed.
- Demonstrates a continuous improvement mentality, with a capacity and energy to challenge the status quo.
- Willingness to “roll up one’s sleeves and dig into the details”. Ability to deal with complexity while meeting tight deadlines and giving highest attention to detail.
- Should be able to work autonomously and meet required deadlines.
General Qualifications [Professional Degree(s), Yrs of Specific Experience, Certification(s)], Job Knowledge, and Skills:
- At least 8 years onboard/offshore experience at a senior supervisor level required. Current or prior Deck or Engineering license holder preferred.
- Bachelors level degree in Marine Transportation or Marine Engineering or equivalent marine/naval experience required.
- Formal ISM and ISO lead auditor training with a minimum of 3 years of vessel inspection/auditing experience required.
- Must hold or have the ability to obtain valid training/certification for QMS Lead Auditor, Incident Investigation/Root Cause Analysis, and Incident Command Training.
- International Maritime Organization convention requirements and their practical application to vessels used in seismic survey operations, e.g. ISM, SOLAS, STCW, MARPOL, ISPS.
- Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications. Microsoft Office.
Certificates, Licenses or Registrations:
- Valid driver's license
- Current US Passport
- Current TWIC card
- BOSIET certification
- OGUK certification
- Offshore Water Survival training certification
- Must pass Physical, Drug Screen and Background Check.
- US Citizen or Green Card holder with ability to work in the US without sponsorship.
FairfieldNodal is an equal opportunity employer.